Friday, October 04, 2013

In Response to An Open Letter to Kate Kelly and Those Pressing for Ordination from Meridian Magazine

http://www.ldsmag.com/article/1/13363

I disagree with this article for multiple reasons.  First, the author implies that it's being too brazen to publicly ask for women to have the priesthood.  Have you heard Pres Hinckley’s response to the question of whether women could ever have the Priesthood?  He responded in the affirmative then added, “but there's no agitation for that." http://agitatingfaithfully.org/post;jsessionid=2803821D898EB321688A9873399DCE20?id=the-quote-in-context  
To me this implies that our leaders need to know when we desire further revelation to be sought.  Kate Kelly, and other members of the church, are well within their rights in asking. 

Second, the author implies that it’s only appropriate to seek further revelation if we want to align ourselves closer to God’s will.  How do we know that it isn’t God’s will for women to have the Priesthood?  The author is assuming that it’s not. (Interesting note: women that lived in Joseph Smith’s time, gave blessings for the healing of the sick.)

Third, the author states that those who ask God if they can have the Priesthood are trying to educate God on how women can best be empowered.  The implication is that this is a bad thing, but our children let us know when they are hungry, or have needs of any kind that are unmet.  We may not be ready to meet them yet, but certainly they are not wrong to have asked.  Perhaps the author's point is that he is God, and who are we to educate him?  But, if He is our Father, why not ask?  He counsels us in the scriptures to pray and seek about anything.  Why not this?  


I love what Kate Kelly said when asked what she hopes the key message of her work will be.  She said: I want women to know that they are valuable, but not from someone telling them. I want them to feel and see it. Images are very important to me, and when I look on the stand, I want to see women. When I hear people talk, I want to hear women. Functionally, there is no person that can tell me I am equal. I know I am equal, I know I am a daughter of God, I know he loves me … I feel that when I pray and when I go to the temple—I just think that needs to be reflected in the institution, in the everyday practice of the gospel I love. That’s why I created Ordain Women. It is an endeavor in radical self-respect. - 


2 comments:

JoAnna said...

I'm glad that you responded to this. I haven't been too aware of the discussion (I tend to live in a bubble) so it was good to read your links. It's an interesting topic and I'm finding it even more interesting to think about the way people make their arguments, as you and Ben have expressed.
I love to hear your thoughts! :)

Melanie said...

THanks for reading, JoAnna!