Monday, April 18, 2011

Peter's Potty Training, Take One

Last Monday Peter ran out of diapers. I had purposefully not purchased more diapers for him. So began the potty training.
He'd chosen a potty treat, mini candybars. We learned very quickly that Peter has excellent bladder control. He can hold his pee for over 24 hours. He doesn't even pee in his sleep! Peter is also very determined, which I already knew. I tried everything: obviously candy, sticker charts, grab bags, offers to take him wherever he wanted to go, and offers to take him to the store to buy a toy. He wouldn't go for any of these things. He wouldn't pee on a kix or an icecube, in his underwear while sitting on the toilet. He wouldn't pee from putting his hands in warm water, giving him a bath, pouring water on his penis (and he hated me for that one). He fought peeing on a tree. We had a super hard week, and I gave up. I would much rather have him peeing and pooping in a diaper than not at all.
We went to the store to buy diapers, and the cheapest option was pink princess pull-ups. They were $10 cheaper than their blue Toy Story counterparts. So he's rockin' the pull-ups for now. We'll try again in a month...

4 comments:

mudderbear said...

It sounds like you have a very independent boy there. He'll probably walk in one day and tell YOU it's time for the pull-ups.

Crystal said...

Jack had a bladder of steel too! It made potty training tricky.
You probably know this from reading my blog, but I am now a big fan of the book Potty Train in Less Than a Day by Nathan Azrin and Richard Foxx. When people talked about it I thought they were crazy. But it worked. Maybe read the book and see what you think. Jack didn't have a pee accident after the first day. Pooping took a couple of days to figure out, but he eventually figured it out.

JoAnna said...

I can't believe he can wait that long! I'm always told she'll sleep when she's tired, eat when she's hungry, go when she needs to... I knew it wasn't true!

Jenn said...

Unbelievable bladder control! We tried potty training Ellis a few weeks ago and failed miserably. But he was having wild, crying fits and peeing all over the floor. At least your problem is not as messy! Good luck figuring it out :)