Friday, May 01, 2009

Peter At One Year

Favorite Foods-meats, especially ham; vegetables, especially carrots; yogurt; pizza (he can eat a whole slice!); cheese; scrambled eggs; waffles;
Favorite Toys-balls, cars, rubber ducks; shape sorters; stuffed animals
Favorite Games-peekaboo (he hides his face with washcloths then wants us to do the same); chase (he loves us to carry him and chase after Eddie; he giggles the whole time; he also enjoys us crawling after him, as well as crawling after us);
Favorite things to do-read(he's very often handing me books; he likes to sit on my lap; he points to pictures on each page and talks about them; often he will turn and intently watch my face as I read; he will often take the book from me, just so he can hand it to me again and have me start reading it all over again), take baths(he loves splashing, playing with tub toys, pulling the plug out of the tub drain, and reading-we have a tub book that we read at least ten times during each bath); play on and lay on Mom's and Dad's bed; ride in the stroller (he dives from my arms to the seat of his stroller); dance (he dances every time he hears music, usually dancing is swaying left and right); wash his hands (he gets all giggly if we walk into the bathroom because he knows what's going to happen; he really likes washing his hands because he likes to suck water off his fingers!)
Unique Things-Peter has never responded excitedly to icecream before this week (didn't hate it, but didn't care if he had more or not).
Peter doesn't eat many fruits (strawberries are the only fruit he will eat thus far).
Peter eats an oreo by taking off the cookie and pinching off pieces of cream and eating it; he never eats the cookie!
Peter's really talkative. He has a lot to say about a lot of things. He really gets close to your face, looks into your eyes, and just talks and talks. He can be really loud when he wants something; he doesn't let you ignore him. Ben is always surprised at how loud he cries at night, and he will cry even louder if it's Ben that goes to get him. He wants to really know the names of things; he holds things up to us or points to things and waits for us to name them; he studies our mouths intently while we are telling him the word.
There's really nothing that Peter hates to do or gets upset about doing.
Peter seems to prefer orange or red things (especially orange); he seems to pick up blocks, etc., that are those colors. Things he shows me are very often those colors.
Peter doesn't mind playing by himself some times. He will often crawl into his room and play with toys. If I come by, he will show me what he is doing, but doesn't stop and doesn't mind if I leave the room again.
Peter loves sippy cups and has since he was six months old, though it's only been about a month since he has been able to drink from them.
Teeth-Peter has five teeth-the top two and bottom two, as well as the one to the left of the top middle teeth
Words-Though Peter has said more words than this, the only word he consistently uses correctly is ma ma. Every time he wants something or is upset, he looks for me and says ma ma. If he wakes in the night, he calls out ma ma as he cries. I don't know if ma ma means me or "I need something", but, I guess since I am the one that takes care of his needs, it doesn't really matter. He says da da a lot, too. He uses it for Ben, but also uses it as a naming word for his toys and a sound when he is talking.
Songs-Peter likes to open and close his fist while we sing "Popcorn Popping". Ever since Peter was first born, he has calmed quickly to "Teach Me to Walk in the Light". I sing that, "I am a Child of God", and a song I made up for Eddie when he was a baby ("Mommy loves you") to Peter every night when he goes to sleep. He falls alseep much faster with singing, but with singing these songs in particular.
Sleep-Peter naps twice a day, at 10 a.m. for about 45 minutes and at 4 p.m. for anywhere between an hour to two hours (he often wakes up halfway through this nap). He falls asleep in the car really easily. He goes to bed at 7:30 or 8 p.m. He wakes up many times in the night, I would say an average of five times; the first time is 15 minutes after he goes to sleep. Sometimes he wakes up twice before I go to bed. If I bring him to our bed in the night, he sleeps really well. I am sure he would sleep better if he didn't like breastfeeding so much.

4 comments:

JoAnna said...

This is such a neat write up! What a special little boy and what a great mom he has! I think his dad and brother are pretty cool too.

Crystal said...

What a cute little boy!
I am amazed when people who breastfeed their children have children who sleep through the night. I feel for you. When my boys were a year old it seemed like they were less interested in nursing during the day and way more interested in doing it (many times) at night.

Iris said...

I love what you wrote......and, I especially love how he eats Oreos =)

Katie said...

I can't believe it's been a year already! :) You have such cute little boys!