Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Commemorating Seven Years

Ben and I went on our first date seven years ago from yesterday, June 5. We worked in the same cubicle for a little over a month before we went out. We spent forty hours a week together. Then one day he said we should do something sometime. I responded with some comment that indicated that I had been thinking that. I found out later that my response made him happy.

He was so sweet. He knew a genre of music I liked at the time, so he found a local concert happening the night we had planned to go out. I met him there. He lived downtown, which was where the concert was. I lived almost a half an hour away. I felt guilty letting him pick me up and waste two hours total getting me, getting us there, getting me home, and going home himself. Later on I found out that I had hurt his feelings. He assumed I didn't want him to pick me up because I was embarrassed of him (typical negative thinking). I still feel sad that he had to feel that way-that I couldn't comfort him because I didn't know.

The concert was awful! He was embarrassed because he chose it. I was embarrassed because I didn't want him to think I liked music that sounded like that. We left a little early and ended up driving around. He had offered dinner or dessert, but I wasn't hungry.

We drove and talked for hours. I had never been so comfortable on a date. Conversation had never flowed so easily or been so enjoyable. We never once turned on the radio. I remember thinking how neat it was that we didn't need music in order to avoid awkward silences. One of our favorite things to do to this day is go on drives. We still rarely have music on when we are in the car together. It is not that we don't enjoy music. We just find we talk less with music on. And we love to talk to each other!

Even though we spent a substantial amount of time talking at work before this night, I learned a lot about Ben on this date. I learned that family, meaning wife and children, were his number one priority. I remember feeling jealous of his future wife. I knew she would be so loved and taken care of. I thought she was so lucky! It never once crossed my mind that night that it would, or even could, be me!

Seven years later, here I am, Ben's wife. We are about to have our first child. I could not be happier or consider myself more blessed. I don't know how I got lucky enough to be Ben's wife! But I am thankful for it!

I love you, Ben!

1 comment:

JoAnna said...

That is so neat. Ahhh! True love. You've heard the course of true love never does run smooth??? I think that when it's right, and really true, it does. Sure there are bumps in the road, but there's that comfortable, finding home feeling. I always knew Ben's wife would be lucky! ;)