Monday, June 21, 2010

Creegan

Around November 9 our newest little boy will be joining the family, Creegan. I'm officially at the half way point right now. I feel like I have been pregnant forever, but I can't believe how soon my life will completely change. I am happy, though. I have never been this calm about a new baby. It will be hard, but we are already an established family; we'll be okay. Eddie and Peter, especially Eddie, are super excited about this new little baby. And Eddie and Peter play well together and can entertain themselves. I feel so honored to be the mom of three little boys. I only have two concerns about having sons: circumcision (I feel awful doing it and they are so miserable afterwards!) and losing them when they are all grown up and married (wife's family of origin tends to get precedence).

Here's how we came up with Creegan's name. Ben mentioned, since he is so into music, that it would be neat to name a child after something musically meaningful to him. The summer Ben and I worked together we shared a lot of music with each other. I really took to the band Barenaked Ladies that Ben introduced me to. We went to their first concert together that summer. We went to all of their concerts before we had children. We even traveled so we could go to multiple shows. Anyway, Creeggan is the last name of one of the band members (there actually used to be two band members with this last name). When Ben mentioned he wanted to name a child after something to do with music, I began thinking about BNL. I thought of Creeggan and instantly fell in love with it as a name. Ben loved it, too. We decided two g's, though adorable, seemed a little much, so we are using Creegan. Jim Creeggan, of BNL, has a beautiful voice and writes beautiful songs. I especially love "Peterborough and the Kawarthas" from the Barenaked Ladies are Me album. It's a sweet song about a father leaving his little boy. I put Eddie to sleep with this album, so it's especially sweet to me. Go to this site to hear a sample http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B000H1RG2M/ref=pd_krex_listen_dp_img?ie=UTF8&refTagSuffix=dp_img

I love you already, Creegan! I am so happy I am your Mama! See you soon!

12 comments:

mudderbear said...

I miss you so much. I wish we could share in this more. Creegan is a very fine name, specially with all that goes with it for you. May you all be blessed. You mean the world to us.

Meg and Brad said...

Oh my gosh! I am so excited for you! I had no idea you were pregnant! Love the name and that it means so much to both of you! Can't wait to see him!

Megan said...

So awesome. Congrats!

Lindy Salmon said...

THREE BOYS! Wow. Congrats.

And to answer your questions you left on a blog awhile ago--yes we are still in Atlanta, John is still working on his PhD--we just moved apartments (for the 4th time since we've been here).

Sarah H said...

Oh Melanie, that's so exciting!! Congratulations!! :)

JoAnna said...

I adore that name! I adore you! I adore ALL of you! I'm so excited for you and am glad you are feeling calm. This is exciting. Half way there already! (Easy for me to say). I wish we could come visit you and help you... it's the thought that counts right?

Camille said...

Congrats!! That is so exciting! I love the name too. It's darling and I think it fits perfectly with your other boys. Don't you just love boys? Three boys will be so fun!

Jeni said...

Congratulations!!!!! That's so exciting. I love the name.

Iris said...

When I read the title, I was going to ask you where the name came from. But, it looks like I didn't have to ask ...... I like how you took out a g in the name. It is a very nice name, Mel =). And, I'm really happy you aren't naming him Barenaked =) . love you Mel =).

Melanie said...

Thanks, everyone! Joni, if he is born naked, we are considering "Barenaked" as a middle name. You just can't tell in the ultrasound if they have clothes on or not!

Unknown said...

Congrats Mel!!! I loved reading this post. You are an amazing mother and friend. I look forward to hearing more about the adventures with your THREE boys!!! ((hugs)) from Atlanta!!!

Krista said...

Congratulations on THREE BOYS! So exciting. It will be sad to see the boys go but you will get to welcome so many wonderful girls into your family when they marry.