Monday, November 03, 2008

Peter's Half Birthday

Peter celebrated his half-birthday yesterday by trying his first baby cereal. Eddie and I have been so excited all week for this big event.
I prepared the cereal and set it down for a moment while I went to grab something. When I returned I saw that Eddie had given Peter his bowl and spoon, expecting Peter to feed himself. Instead Peter dumped the cereal on his tray and really enjoyed rubbing it around. Eddie was sad Peter had spilled his cereal. I realized how different this is all going to be the second time around.
Peter wore his first bib and did not like it at all. He took it off every chance he got.

He liked the cereal but didn't love it. He still has the tongue reflex of pushing things out of his mouth, which made it hard for him to swallow any of it. His eyes were happy, though, and he'd smile slightly while I talked him through each bite.

Things I was reminded of: 1)how much work it is to feed a baby (how you literally do have to talk them through each bite-they really have to learn how to eat); 2)how sweet it is to feed a baby (a real bonding experience); 3)how annoying it is to clean the booster seat, chair, floor, and wall after each feeding; and 4)how much more laundry I am going to have now that Peter's eating cereal!

All in all, it was a successful first experience! I love you, Petery! I am so happy to be your mom!

4 comments:

Iris said...

How cute! He's growing up so fast.....glad he had fun with the food experience =)

Shanda said...

Cute Pictures! I'm with you on the feeding thing. It is definitely not my favorite either with the extra time, clean up, etc. We are super excited to see you this weekend!

JoAnna said...

Happy 1/2 Birthday Peter! Your auntie loves you too... can't wait to meet you at Christmas time :)
Good luck with the eating to both of you (maybe all 3 with Eddie's help!).

mudderbear said...

when Gina and Khrystine were babies, the most valuable commodity in the house was rolls of paper towels. I still can't believe the messes they made.

You really have a scientific view of this...I wish I had. Do you really have to teach them everything?? So, that's what was going wrong!!