Sunday, March 23, 2008

Good News Bad News

The good news is that it is Easter, a day on which we reflect on the good news that Jesus is resurrected and that we can all be resurrected one day. So I guess, since we are already reflecting on that, it is a good day to get bad news. My mom called after church with two pieces of bad news.

Number one: my grandpa is dying. He has been going downhill for the past couple of years, but he has taken a nosedive in the past few days. I guess Friday morning he was fine (relatively). By Friday afternoon he began to lose all of his abilities. My mom thinks it began with him not being able to walk. Now he is completely unconscious and will be until he is gone. He and my grandma had already chosen to not resuscitate him or slow his dying in any way. So he is at home in his bed. He is being given morphine for pain, but he has no iv for hydration or anything. According to the hospice nurse, he will be gone within three days at the most. I will be 28 next week, and this is my first grandparent to die. I have been very blessed to have all my grandparents my whole life. I have known Ben since he was 20, and I have never known any of his grandparents. It is still sad, though. I guess I feel most sad to not be there, to not be able to say goodbye to him, if only for my own sake.

Number two: my brother, William, who is in Iraq in the army, is having a hard time. His barracks were mortared (which literally means bombarded with mortar shells-I had to look that up; my dad says it means small bombs). The US Army (William?) captured Iraqi soldiers (the ones who "mortared" them maybe???) and are holding these soldiers prisoner. It has been William's job to guard these prisoners. Emotionally he is having a difficult time. I was blessed to be able to talk with him online earlier this week and nothing like this was going on then. William is an office worker on base, so his job has been fairly safe until now. I would appreciate all of your prayers on my brother's behalf.

7 comments:

mudderbear said...

You certainly have our prayers. I feel so sad to hear all your bad news. It's hard to lose a grandparent...I miss my grandpa more than I miss anybody, I think.
I've always worried about William being in Iraq. We will derinitely pray for him. What a difficult time your family is suddenly going through. You have our thoughts, of course.

Crystal said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa.
We will pray for you and your family.

Heather said...

It's hard losing a grandparent, I was 25 when I lost my first one and I'm 35 now and still have one left, but she doesn't want to be here anymore and I don't think it'll be much longer before she's back with my Grandpa... I'm almost envious of that. But that doesn't make the loss any less. Just sometimes it feels better knowing they'll be out of pain and back in the arms of loved ones that they miss... and that they'll be there for us when our turn comes. Sometimes we need to celebrate the life they lived and appreciate the love and knowledge and wisdom and family they left behind... I will always have stories of my grandparents to share with my kids, and I had such good examples of how to be a good granparent, mother, wife etc... that I feel prepared to be one myself... maybe... except for the age thing... but that's beside the point.
I lost one of my grandma's right before I had Shae and I was so sad that she never met him, but I sometimes think she did... and my grandpa died shortly after I had the twins and I wish he could see them now, and I think sometimes he can... I'm just glad I had them as long as I did... and still do
Take care of you and the babies... Love
Heather

The Damsel said...

I will be praying for you.

JoAnna said...

I'm sorry to hear about all this. I wish you could be there with your grandpa and family. I will certainly be praying for all of you!

Iris said...

Thoughts & prayers w/ you......I love you Mel =)

Jeni said...

I'm sorry Melanie. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers