Thursday, March 13, 2008

Preparing for Peter


I have been busy trying to prepare for Peter's arrival. He will be here in two months or less! I cannot tell you how happy I am every time I think about him. Admittedly, until recently I have been nothing but scared about having our new baby. Sure, I have been happy to know I am having another child, but I haven't felt excited. I have been somewhat envious of my sister-in-law's and niece's excitement (they are both having their first babies within days of ours). I guess I have an accurate idea of how hard the first year is.

On top of past experience, I am busy insomuch that I can't focus as much on Peter as I would like. The day we learned we were pregnant was the same day we were in a serious head-on collision. Between the surgery and all the doctor appointments and taking care of Ben while he was on bedrest, I hardly remembered I was pregnant. I am always mentally and emotionally caught up with Edison, too.

I have been scared that I won't be able to be the kind of mom I have been to Edison to my new baby. I gave Eddie all my time and energy. All my love and worry. I want Peter to have all of me, too. And I don't want Edison to lose any of me. These concerns have occupied much of my mental capacity over the last several months.

I have come to some recent conclusions and understandings. I won't be too specific here. Basically, I have faith. I have prayer. I have hope. I have love. I have Heavenly Father. There is no need to fear. I will be made equal to the task. Eddie will adjust and be better off because he is/will be a big brother. Peter will benefit from having Eddie, too. I truly believe that a new baby will bring a greater capacity to love and a greater amount of happiness to our family. I have let all the worries go, and I have been filled with such happiness and excitement, just like I felt before I had Edison.

I didn't mean to get so serious here. On a lighter note, the picture shows some items I have purchased to physically prepare for Peter, some things I never had with Eddie and wanted for Peter.

1. a boppy-I didn't understand the point before I had Eddie. I ended up borrowing one, though, and it made all those nights of holding Eddie while sitting up in bed bearable. I already love it! I used it every night as a table when I write in my journal before bed. Eddie loves it, too!

2. a hotsling-I wish someone had told me before I had Eddie that no newborn is content when not being held. Also, those baby backpacks don't work for all babies. Eddie didn't like his til he was five months old. And those baby backpacks just aren't comfortable to wear. Hotslings have good reviews, and I have friends who swear by them. I plan to carry Peter in this Hotsling all day and all night.
3. pacifiers and one of those things to attach the pacifiers to his clothes!!-I am happy to announce that Peter will be a pacifier baby! I was so against them when Eddie was born. I was upset every time someone in the hospital would put a pacifier in Eddie's mouth. Crying is a baby's only way to communicate. While a pacifier might soothe a baby, the baby may have been asking for something else entirely. I still plan to listen to Peter and meet his needs, but I am going to take all the help I can get. When Eddie was two or three months old, I began trying to teach him to use a pacifier. He never got it down. I wished that he could have one to help him fall asleep. When he was six months old, he began using his nipple shield (he always used one to breast feed) as a pacifier. That was (and is) a lifesaver. I don't know why I never got one of those things to attach them to his clothes. I still have to go into his room so many times each night to help him find his "nip". I want to save myself all the stress and frantic searching in the middle of the night!
4. baby book-I got Peter the cutest baby book! I love it! I am so tempted to start using it already, but I need to finish Eddie's first (I am not far from done).
5. johnny jumper-I always wanted one for Eddie. I actually want one of those nicer ones (the ones that look like a cross between an excersaucer and a jumper), but the doorframe ones are much cheaper!
6. car mirrors-I am hoping to help curb some of my anxiety and avoid some of Peter's anxiety by having us both have mirrors in order to see each other in the car. I rode in the backseat with Eddie every time Ben was with us (which was usually) until Eddie was six and a half months old. I don't know if I will fit back there with two carseats. Plus, Eddie had such a hard time riding in the car starting around three-ish months because he couldn't see me. Maybe the mirror thing will help! Here is to hoping!
7. diapers-I felt nervous not having newborn and size one diapers in the house. I know it is silly because we are a ways off, but it would be terrible to bring a newborn to a house without diapers that fit!

I also got some good news this week. My parents are going to come out for a week when we have Peter. This was not the plan previously. My dad took some convincing. He is extremely helpful and would go to any end to do something for his children (for instance, he would be here in an instant if we were moving), but he doesn't recognize having a new baby as something one might need help with (or at least he doesn't know how he personally could help). Thankfully, he has agreed to come. I am so happy and relieved and excited! I didn't think I would see my parents this whole year, so I am excited just to see them (and have them see Eddie and have them see Peter!).

5 comments:

Crystal said...

I loooove this post! I've been wondering how you are doing. I'm so glad that your parents are going to be there to help you. Chad and I've been trying to figure out how I could come and help you, but I thought having me come and bring my little guy would make things just a little too difficult. I didn't have my mom come over and help me much, I absolutely should have had her help me more. Sometimes I'm too proud and think I should just do it on my own.
When my friend Heather has a baby, her mom comes over and stays the whole week with her (night and day.) Her mom doesn't do anything for the new baby, she just takes care of the other kids, cleans the house, and cook the meals.
This comment is getting long. I have so many things I want to say. I'll send you an e-mail!

Crystal said...

I think Peter is going to be a red head. I don't know why I just had that thought. I'm so excited to see him. Not that I don't love my boys, but it's fun to be excited for somebody else to have a baby because I'm just excited not worried and having to pee all the time:)

Heather said...

I feel inclined to stick my nose in, but you can take it or leave it... I totally understand your fears and your faith. Doubling your kid load is scary... but it won't be too long before you don't remember life without him... I remember when I found out I was having twins, I cried for like a week... I signed up for one more, not two... so for the second time I doubled my kid count... I was very overwhelmed...I still am but I love them all and some how you manage to give each one what they need... You'll probably find you'll be closer to Eddie because he'll be your helper, and that will include him in the time you're spending with the baby and it won't take anything from Eddie, but will add to him...
I wish you guys lived closer, we've got lots of helpers... I'm excited for you and Gina... I'm having fun buying baby stuff that is NOT for me!!! The twins about killed me there.... we're barely out of diapers... ugh! Good luck, you'll be fine... you sound like a very loving and hands on mom... no kid will go without when they have a mom like that...

JoAnna said...

This was great to read. You sound very positive and like you learned what your needs are from Eddie. I hope you will take care of yourself as well. Someday, I will print this blog and refer to it for advice! Love you all!

Emlyn said...

Johnny Jump-ups are the best and Millie loves her mommy-made sling too. The only way I could nurse her after my gallbladder surgery was with the Boppy. All great products! You are so prepared! Good luck.