Saturday, February 23, 2008

Tooth Brushing

Eddie loves brushing his teeth. Before going to bed each night, we get out his special "tooth brushing chair". It used to be a chair that was always at his disposal until he kept using it to climb onto things that were dangerous. He fell off it a lot since it isn't sturdy. So I made it into a "special" chair he can only sit in to brush his teeth. He climbs in. He brushes his teeth (and mine). He is getting better at actually brushing his teeth, rather than just sucking the toothpaste off the bristles.

He still loves to suck the toothpaste straight out of the tube, though. I try to keep it out of his reach, but sometimes he snatches it from me! He then lets me brush his teeth and tongue!

His reward is playing in the water in the sink for a minute while I rinse his mouth and toothbrush. He always selects something to play with in the sink (this day it was a bucket; sometimes it's the icecream scoop or a pan). He never lets us skip tooth brushing before bed. If I try, he says "tee'" while touching his teeth. His dentist will be proud!

4 comments:

mudderbear said...

This little guy is really developing into a domestice helper.. What a good mama he has.

JoAnna said...

That's amazing! I thought kids were supposed to hate brushing their teeth? Good job both of you!

Iris said...

I love how he loves to just eat the toothpaste from the tube =)

Camille said...

That's a great idea for tooth brushing! I need to be better at that.