Thursday, February 28, 2008

Stomach Flu


Eddie had his first case of the stomach flu this week. It began Monday night, at 7:30; he hadn't demonstrated any signs of being sick all day. As I was getting him ready for bed, he seemed extra tired. I took him into the bathroom to brush his teeth. He wouldn't sit in his tooth brushing chair. Instead he sat on my lap. I asked him if he was tired. He immediately stood up and threw up all over the bathroom. It didn't stop very quickly. When it did I reached out for him and it began all over again. When it stopped the second time, I picked him up, just to have him go a third time all over me. In the next six or seven hours he threw up nine times (I am counting the first time I wrote about as only one time). Pretty soon there was nothing for him to throw up. It was helpful in that we stopped going through so many clothes, towels, and sheets, but it seemed to hurt him more and scare him more when nothing was actually coming out. He got so tired by the whole ordeal that he would just sleep in between each occurrence. He'd wake up, immediately throw up, and fall right back to sleep. On Tuesday, he threw up only twice, in quick succession after I tried to feed him a little something mid-morning. He had small periods of playfulness (during one he gave me a hug and said "I happy", the first time he has verbally expressed an emotion!), but he mainly wanted to be held. He couldn't eat anything, and he would get really warm during his low periods. He slept really well Tuesday night (through the night, in fact, which is rare for him). Yesterday he acted normal, though he would never ask for food and would only eat a bite or two if I gave him something. Today he has asked for food and is eating more, though not as much as normal. He seems perfectly fine today, though. It has been horrible to see him so sick. I know we have been blessed, in that he is 20 months old and this is his first time to throw up. Yet, my heart has been broken all week to see him suffer so much. The picture is of him in a happy moment, laying in our bed. He loved sleeping with Mom and Dad this week. I love him so much!

3 comments:

JoAnna said...

I'm so sad to hear he's been sick. It sounds just miserable. Sometimes I think being sick is the worst thing in the whole world. There is just nothing you can do about it but lay there and survive it. What a brave boy! And a brave mommy! It scares me to have sick kids and have to not be able to do anything to make them feel better. :( I'm glad he seems to be getting over it.

Cory & Alli said...

Hey Melanie! I found you through Amanda's blog. -Just wanted to see what you were up to! Sorry Eddie was so sick!

mudderbear said...

Once when Khrys was a baby and sick, there was a clock by the bed so I timed it. She woke up every 14 minutes to throw up. I held her so she wouldn't throw up in her sleep and choke, because after awhile of this, she just went to sleep and stopped waking up very much.

I'm sorry you had such a horrible time and I'm so glad you have a washer and dryer. How are you other two doing? Stay well I hope.