Friday, July 27, 2007

I'm hot.

Our home's air conditioning stopped working Tuesday around 5 p.m. I immediately called the office (apartment living). They said they would send someone "today". By 6:45 no one had showed. They close at 7, so I called again. The person who answered this time said she hadn't heard about our problem. She said the maintenance people had gone home, but if I called the emergency number they would come back and fix it tonight. I did that several times and left messages. Of course, I didn't hear a word from them. So we settled in for a long, hot night. Eddie had a hard time going to sleep and staying asleep. It was a very hard night. Ben and I both had headaches that lasted through the next day.

Wednesday morning the maintenance man showed at 9:45. It took him until 11 to fix the a/c. At 11 he said it would take two hours to cool down the house. Eddie and I went to playgroup. We came home to a cool house. Yeah! We were so happy! End of story right? Wrong!

Thursday morning by 8 a.m. the a/c was not working. I waited until 10 to make sure. Then I began calling the office. No one answered. I kept leaving messages. They finally called back at 12:30. Maybe that doesn't sound like a long time. When you are as hot as we were, it feels like an eternity. They said they would send someone right over.

Two hours later the maintenance man arrived. He tried a couple of things then left. I was putting Eddie to bed. Ben talked to him. Apparently the best communication didn't occur. Ben wasn't sure if he was coming back or not. So we waited.

By 4, we were so miserable I began calling the front office again. I spoke to people and left messages. No one ever showed. So we had another hot night. And we feel miserable this morning. It is 9:55. The office opens in five minutes, and I get to start calling AGAIN. I hate being mean. I hate having to do the same thing over and over again. I hate having to live like this. At least once a month this happens.

Here's to hoping it will be cool soon!

3 comments:

JoAnna said...

That's HORRIBLE!!! How are things now? I hate things like that and I really feel for you having to deal with it. It makes me feel all yucky and nervous inside. I feel bad about myself because I have a hard time being aggressive. Then if I show any assertiveness at all, I feel really bad and don't like being that way. I hope you made it through and they fixed it all and all is well. Love you!

The Damsel said...

I hate that sort of thing too. It always makes me wonder if I'm becoming delusional, that the ac really does work and I'm just making it up.
I was at the hair salon a while back and asked for my standard shampoo, cut and style. The stylist cut my hair dry, which was unusual but I know people are trained differently so I didn't say anything. But when she began cleaning up, I said I had also requested a shampoo. She apologized, washed my hair-but then began cleaning up again. I felt too dumb/impatient to remind her I asked for a blow-out, so I just left. She didn't charge me at least.
Anyway it's not nearly so frightful as your story. I hope it gets fixed. No ac is torture in the summer.

mudderbear said...

Well, here's my AC story. And lately everybody has one. Karen's was also out for a few days last week. It has been a very hot summer this year, so I just thought that was that. By Saturday evening, I felt like a melting stick of butter. It seemed it would be impossible to do much of anything that couldn't be done in front of a fan. By Sunday morning I had to admit we had no pump going in the old cooler, so mostly we were just blowing hot air through the house. Lucky for us, Junior came over with a new pump and fixed everything. Words cannot express how grateful we are for that. Good luck with yours. I hope it holds up. Nothing is more difficult to live with than too much heat.