Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Walking and Talking

Edison took his first official steps on Sunday. He has inadvertently taken steps before (like when he lets go of holding onto the furniture yet keeps walking). He wasn't aware of it, though. We have tried to get him to walk back and forth between us. He would never do it without holding our hands. Then on Sunday he initiated walking back and forth between us. For the first few steps he would hold our hands. Then he would let go and walk on his own for the last three or four steps. He knew he was doing it and was so proud of himself. Yesterday he was sitting on my lap when he decided he wanted to walk by himself to his teddy bear. He took the necessary four steps and fell upon arrival. It upset him quite a bit, and he wouldn't walk anymore yesterday. First thing this morning, though, he was walking between Ben and me again. I know for some kids it is months from this point to officially walking on their own. I don't know how it will go for Eddie. I am actually kind of nervous because this opens up a whole new world that I am not sure how to prepare for.

On Saturday Eddie said his fifth word, fan. He says "an". He, like many young children, has been fascinated with fans for several months now. He always points out every fan he sees and hears and "talks" a great deal about it. Anyway, he pointed to the fan and said "an, an". I was excited but wasn't sure if he completely understood what he was doing. That evening we went to dinner at a restaurant that had many ceiling fans. During dinner he repeatedly pointed out every fan and yelled (not spoke) "an" about each one! Ben thinks he even said "fan" once, but I am not sure. He definitely knows what he is saying. So uh,oh, Dad, Mom, no, and fan are his words.

Eddie mimics every word we say, though. The cutest word he repeated yesterday was orange juice. He said "oran ju". He seemed to be practicing it later as he was trying to play with the computer. Over the last couple of days he has said such big words as cheese, butter, banana, and handle. This is such an exciting time!

5 comments:

JoAnna said...

Did he just wake up one day and decide to be a big boy? Every time you post, I'm just surprised at how much he is growing! I guess I miss a lot being so far away :( It's always amazed me how much babies learn and grow in such a short amount of time. I'm so glad you keep us updated!

Crystal said...

Beepers didn't walk before his first birthday, but three weeks after his birthday he was seriously running. It's amazing to me how quickly kids master the skill of walking.
It's awesome that you have kept such good track of Eddie's development. It's fun to hear how mch he is learning and growing.

Mac G said...

Tie your running shoes on, because from now on, you are going to be kept hopping. It's great fun, but tiring.

mudderbear said...

HI..I commented here a day or two ago but it wouldn't take. It actually posted my password up here in the comment box. Screwy thing!!

Just want you to know I'm keeping up with you and we are all very excited about Edison deciding to walk. From my observations, babies just get up one day and take off, like a switch has been turned and so off they go.

The Damsel said...

According to my friend's biology class, Mudder, that is exactly how it it works. I am way happy for him!